Thursday, January 31, 2008

Library 2.0 # 15

I can't agree more with what I am reading. It is impossible to try and procure a collection of materials that reside permanently in the library these days. Long gone are the days of print materials beinig the sources of information. And, as much as I hesitate, it appears the web of the future is all about collaboration. I can foresee in the near future classrooms becoming part of classroom networks/online communities. In fact, I am totally excited about it. I can see blogs and wikis totally changing the classroom for the better. I can see the librarian facilitating this process.

However, it will take a paradigm shift of the librarians to accomplish this task. Gone are the days of signing up classes to come for their 30 minutes in the library. Open access is key. On my own campus, we are challenged with differenet campuses requiring that simultaneously. I haven't really given a great deal of thought of how to solve this before, but now I see the need to begin that thought process. Let's begin that conversation.

I can't even pretend to fully grasp the depth of the issue. I have already been exposed to so much through this activity. Thanks for bringing the conversation to the consciousness of all of us!

1 comment:

VWB said...

And I know in your role, you will carry this conversation forward to all the groups in your circle of influence, be they in or out of SBISD.
We need all the banner-carriers we can get, especially in the ranks of administration, where so many of the key decisons for making these ideas work must come.
Thanks!

Fuel the Brain