Monday, January 7, 2008

#8 - RSS Feeds

Talk about feeling just a little lost. I am feeling that the collaborative nature of the Internet is not a real interest of mine. I am pondering why that might be. Is it that I am too pressed for time? Is it that I am a fairly "private" person and don't care to share my ideas, thoughts, etc. with pelple I don't know. Is it that I feel spend much of my day communicating with a variety of individuals in my job that I am tired of sharing at night? I dunno.

I have subscribed to 6 different feeds and posted them on my Google Reader page. I went back through them tonight to look at them. I was totally unimpressed with a couple that I will probably unsubscribe. I did enjoy looking at a couple and even linked to a few other sites to see if I could figure out what this guy was talking about. It certainly isn't clear fromo his blog. I don't know if I will venture there again. I am trying to figure out why I should go through the effort to have the Google Reader page when most of the websites were just added to my feeds in my Favorites. Seems like a duplicate of efforts. So, what I am trying to say is that I don't possess a real positive view of rss feeds and newsreaders.

I don't see myself using this at all in my personal life. I think I could add a rss feed to my website at school for parents/students so when I update they will know. I was hoping that I would learn HOW to do that through this library2play activity. I guess that is something I will have to figure out for myself...

Libraries could use it in much the same way that I am thinking of using. Couldn't they also have blogs about certain titles or genres?

2 comments:

Karen said...

PS. One of the things that is really annoying about all of these new "tools" is that you need to sign up/register for each one separately. I am going the easy rout now and just trying to use Google for everything so I don't have to keep registering. So, I can't participate at Mabry Online because they are using Blogline. That is also why I will use Picasa (Google) rather than Flickr. Everything is in one place...

PSS. Please don't take me negatively. I am not trying to be negative - just thinking about all of this critically!

VWB said...

you are recognizing a major consideration with all these tools...ease of use! What works for one person won't help another...and that includes registration, housekeeping issues!
That's what is good about so many choices...something that "fits" for everyone!

Fuel the Brain