Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Online Productivity Tools - #18

There is definitely a difference between the two products we are supposed to try. Open Office is much more like Office than is Google documents. First of all, it is software you download. Second, it is a suite of products.

With Open Office, the files you create are stored where you decide, unlike Google Docs where your files are stored on their server. I worry about security and the ability to access the documents indefinitely. In Open Office, there are more features. In fact, I created an entire document with it today. The only limitation I came across was the inability to actually create a draw item in the document. I am VERY used to that tool. However, I am sure it is coming shortly! These Web 2.0 products are developing so quickly! I wonder what Microsoft thinks about it all!

Again, Google docs has a long way to go before it is something I will use.

The presentation tool in Open Office is "crude" compared to PowerPoint, but again I anticipate it will develop quickly. The Draw tool is basic as well. I don't personally have a reason to use the Math tool. Anyway, I'm not sure that we are ready to "dump" Microsoft, but I can see where not too far in the future... :-)

No comments:

Fuel the Brain